Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Giving Thanks

As November rolls around every year, I have a few things that I always look forward to: the start of basketball season, autumn weather, the changing color of leaves, and most of all Thanksgiving! Not only is it a five day break from school (just when we're all starting to go crazy), but it's a wonderful time to gather with family and friends...to EAT! And so, in the spirit of giving THANKS, I thought that on this Thanksgiving Eve, I would record a few things that I'm thankful for this year.

First, the trivial:

I'm thankful for great books and good movies. My Harry Potter adventure earlier this year was a highlight of 2011. And I can't wait for The Hunger Games to come out in March.

I'm thankful for Jillian Michaels' Ripped in 30. Although it's difficult and she makes me want to yell at the screen, I feel stronger when I complete one of her workouts.

I'm thankful for Special K Cracker Chips...I can eat 30 of them for only 110 calories. WooHoo!

I'm thankful for college football on Saturdays--especially watching the Oregon Ducks and their unique style of play and over-the-top uniforms.

I'm thankful for the pillow case my mom made me. It's fuzzy and warm and is just what I needed to sleep in my somewhat-chilly bedroom. Plus it has little ducks on it. Cute.

I'm thankful for commercials that make me laugh no matter how many times I see them.

I'm thankful for Facebook, Pinterest, E-mail, Sporcle, and all the other internet stuff that keeps me entertained and involved in the lives of my friends and family.

I'm thankful that CSI (the original show in Las Vegas) has bounced back this season. Ted Danson has been a terrific addition to the cast and the show feels fresh and new again. I truly look forward to watching it every week.

I'm thankful for jeans and hoodies--my favorite outfit choices.

And now to give THANKS for a few of the significant things in my life:

I'm thankful for my fiance Matt, who proposed on November 5th. He is kind, intelligent, athletic, and insightful. It took patience, prayer, and the advice of friends and family...but we found one another and can't wait to get married. And I'm thankful for Matt's family who have accepted me into the Ortman clan.

I'm thankful for my family--my parents, my sister, aunts, uncles and cousins--who have shown me such love and support. Thank you to my mom and dad who are the best parents and who provided Matt and I with a great weekend in Oregon in October. Thanks for my little sis, who always knows how to make me laugh and is always up for new adventures. Thanks to all of my extended family who have promised to travel from all parts of the globe to celebrate at my wedding in June. :)



I'm thankful for my friends. For my friend Michelle who has done more for me in the past year than anyone will ever know. Her advice and support physically, emotionally, and spiritually have helped me get through some very difficult times. And not only that, but we have laughed and shared in some great times as well. For my friends at school-especially Rachel and Krista- who include me in their lives and listen to me vent when necessary. For my church friends and my "old" friends who I've known forever--and are so excited for me. Thanks right now go out to my friend Vicky, who is taking some of the stress of wedding planning off my hands. I truly am blessed by my friendships and I give THANKS for every one of them.


I'm thankful for the girls I coach in basketball and golf. For their dedication to the sport, and their willingness to be coachable. I'm also thankful for my fellow coaches, both those I coach with and those who join me in our weekly coaches bible study. It's a wonderful thing to have a coaching support system like the one we have at ONW. I'm thankful for Ryan--our FCA Coaches Ministry Leader--who introduced me and Matt. Enough said.

And most importantly, I'm thankful for Jesus Christ and my salvation.



Have a wonderful Thanksgiving all. My love and THANKS to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment